As a criminal defense firm in Tampa, FL, we have noticed the increase in crimes related to the COVID-19 pandemic and health crisis. A wide range of criminal issues related to the global pandemic have increased including:
- price gouging
- fraudulent schemes to the pandemic
- enhanced penalties for crimes committed during a state of emergency
- spreading or threatening to spread COVID-19
- perpetrating a biological weapons hoax
- violating isolation or quarantine health orders
- violating an order related to COVID-19 for being safer-at-home or sheltering in place
- violating regulations to enforce social distancing
- violating restrictions on travel or business
- violations of orders closing short term vacation rental properties
- violating a curfew
- crimes for unlawful assembly
Other types of cases that have increased during the crisis include civil asset forfeitures proceedings after the seizure of money at the airport or roadways in Florida.
Some except the crackdowns to continue as law enforcement officers shift their focus to these types of crimes.
Crimes for Threatening to Spread COVID-19
According to a spokesperson for the National Conference of State Legislatures, lawmakers across the United States are drafting legislation to make it a crime to issue a “credible threat to infect another with COVID-19 or similar infectious disease that triggered public emergency.”
Federal officials have recently started bringing charges for the crime of perpetrating a biological weapons hoax by threatening to spread COVID-19.
If you need an attorney experienced in protecting your rights against a false allegation during this crisis, then contact Sammis Law Firm. Call 813-250-0500.
This article was last updated on Thursday, May 14, 2020.