Request to Surrender DEA Certificate of Registration

When a doctor is under criminal investigation (including for offenses such as operating a “pill mill” or improperly prescribing medication), the United States Department of Justice – Drug Enforcement Administration may request that the doctor voluntarily surrenders controlled substances privileges by signing a form.

The form provides that the doctor understands that he is not required to surrender his controlled substance privileges, but does so freely by executing the form. The “Voluntary Surrender of Controlled Substances Privileges” form might provide:

___ In view of my alleged failure to comply with the Federal requirements pertaining to controlled substances, and as an indication of my good faith in desiring to remedy any incorrect or unlawful practice on my part;

___ In view of my desire to terminate the handling of controlled substances listed in Schedule II, III, IV, and V.

By signing the “Voluntary Surrender of Controlled Substances Privileges” document, pursuant to Section 301 of the Controlled Substances Act of 1970 PL 91-513), the doctor is usually agreeing to the following:

  • The doctor agrees to voluntarily surrender the Drug Enforcement Administration Certificate of Registration, all controlled substances listed in schedule II, III, and IV, and any unused order forms;
  • The doctor agrees to relinquish the privilege to handle controlled substances listed in schedule II, III, IV and V;
  • The doctor gives the DEA the authority to revoke and terminate the doctor’s registration without a hearing, an order to show cause or any other legal proceeding;
  • The doctor agrees not to be issued a new registration certificated for Schedule II, III, IV, or V drugs;
  • The doctor waives any refund of payment made in connection with the registration; and
  • The doctor agrees that he will not be permitted to prescribe, distribute, possess, administer, or engage in any other controlled substances activities until such time as the doctor is again properly registered.

By signing the voluntary surrender of controlled substances privileges, you are giving up some very important rights. Always talk with a criminal defense attorney before signing any form or agreeing to waive any of your rights.

The attorneys at the Sammis Law Firm represent physicians charged with a criminal offense in Tampa or Hillsborough County, FL.

This article was last updated on Thursday, January 2, 2020.